The Hyperbaric Oxygen Department of Zhongshan Hospital affiliated to Fudan University was founded in 1997. Now this department has two huge hyperbaric oxygen chambers. They can meet the latest national standard with an exceeding capacity. Each hyperbaric chamber is equipped with TV and modern intercom system inside, with several oxygen inhalation positions under normal pressure outside for patients not suitable to enter the chamber. The new chamber enables patients to receive safe hyperbaric oxygen treatment at ease. In addition, this department now has 45 regular beds, several VIP wards, emergency units, outpatient infusion rooms, dressing rooms, and debridement operating theatres so as to offer emergency and regular services for all kinds of patients here.
Now this department has 12 medical staff with junior and senior professional titles, accounting for 50% of the entire personnel.
The Expert Advisor Team has 4 members:
- Mei Zhenwu, Professor of the Internal Medicine Department.
- Wang Xin, Director of the Neurology Department, Professor.
- Zhang Xiaobiao, Director of the Neurosurgery Department, Chief Physician.
- Shi Deyuan, Associate Chief Physician of the Orthopedics Department.
Head of the Department: Guo Meihuan, vice chairman of Shanghai Medical Association Hyperbaric Oxygen Section, and member of the specialist team of Shanghai Medical Hyperbaric Oxygen Quality Control Center
4 Attending Physicians:
- Zha Xiaobing, master student of the Neurology Department, Han Baofu, Zhang Yuemei, and Shi Beixin.
- 3 chamber operators, all technologists-in-charge.
- 11 specialized nurses.
The medical staff, nursing staff and technicians of this department have all received professional trainings. They are qualified with knowledge about hyperbaric oxygen treatment and have clinical experience about general practice and management.
- The success rate of rescuing CO (gas) poisoning reaches 98%, and in particular, this department has unique solutions for severe cases.
- This department provides 24-hour service all year round for patients who need hyperbaric oxygen treatment, and especially in cases of CO poisoning, patients can enter the chamber for emergency treatment just an hour after diagnosis.
- In the past19 years, this department has admitted:
Up to 153,000 inpatients;
Up to 34,000 outpatients;
An average of 20,000 patients per year receive hyperbaric oxygen treatment here.
- This department is inspected by Shanghai Hyperbaric Oxygen Quality Control Center every year and ranks among the best of 48 hyperbaric oxygen chambers in Shanghai.
- This hospital has offered hyperbaric oxygen treatment to patients with all kinds of diseases and achieved favorable effects. The complex diseases include: CO and other harmful gas poisoning, delayed encephalopathy, cerebrovascular diseases (cerebral thrombosis, atherosclerosis of brain, cerebral infarction, subarachnoid hemorrhage), diabetic chronic complications (diabetic foot, peripheral neuritis, diabetic retinopathy), traumatic disease (traumatic brain injury, spinal cord injury, cerebral concussion, brain contusion, brain trauma sequela, delayed fracture healing and nonunion), peripheral vascular disease (Buerger's disease, vascular thrombosis, chronic ulcer of lower limbs, Paynaud’s disease), limb replantation (finger, toe), postoperative skin grafts (pure flap or flap with vessel pedicle), large area of trauma surgery, aseptic osteonecrosis, chronic osteomyelitis, infectious diseases (such as gas gangrene, anaerobic bacteria infection, viral encephalitis), psoriasis, sudden deafness, facial paralysis, retinal choroiditis, central retinal artery occlusion and retinal vein occlusion, drowning.
Under the leadership of the late Prof. Chen Zhongwei of the Orthopedics Department, Prof. Shi Deyuan and others have further proved through animal experiments the effectiveness of hyperbaric oxygen treatment as an assistant method in improving the hypoxia tolerance of free flap and the survival rate of patients after transplantation. In ischemic injury, this therapy can also dramatically reduce edema and muscle necrosis. It is proved that hyperbaric oxygen treatment can be used as an assistant method in traumatic surgery to promote early wound healing.
In 2000, this department cooperated with Prof. Chi Fanglu of the Qtolaryngologic Hospital in a research of “Hyperbaric Therapy on Endolymphatic Hydrops in Guinea Pigs”. Based on constant clinical practices, this department also investigates into the mechanism of hyperbaric oxygen treatment in treating Meniere Disease, the influence of hyperbaric oxygen pretreatment on recurrent cerebral infraction, and the effectiveness of hyperbaric treatment on thrombotic diseases.
Selections of Hyperbaric Oxygen Treatment Experience
Clinical Guidebook of Hyperbaric Oxygen Treatment
Standard Management and Clinical Practice of Medical Hyperbaric Oxygen
Shanghai Medical Hyperbaric Oxygen Quality Control Handbook
This department has also participated in the compilation of the latest Sanitation Standards of People’s Republic of China entitled Technical Manual of the Clinical Use of Hyperbaric Oxygen, and won Shanghai Scientific Achievement Award.
This department has published more than 20 papers.
Specialist outpatient service is offered every Friday morning (No.111, Yi Xue Yuan Road)
Chamber Opening Hours: Monday to Saturday, 8:00 A.M. to 16:00 P.M.
Address: No.2094, Xie Tu Road.
Telephone: 64043022 /64435715/64437825.