ZhongshanHospital affiliated to Fudan University (former Zhongshan Hospital Affiliated to Shanghai Medical College) is the cradle of plastic surgery in China. In 1948, Prof. Webster, the Chairman of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, held a plastic surgery workshop in Zhongshan Hospital, and first introduced the idea of modern plastic surgery to China. After the workshop, trainees went back to their hospital and most of them became the founders of plastic surgery departments all over the country. Among them, Academician Zhang Disheng set up the Plastic Surgery Department in Guangci Hospital (now Ruijin Hospital) and later the Plastic and Reconstruction Department in Shanghai the 9th People’s Hospital; Prof. Zhu Ruyao set up Plastic Surgery Department in Beijing Xiehe Hospital (now Plastic Surgery Hospital affiliated to Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences); Prof Zhu Hongyin set up the Plastic Surgery Department in Peking University Third Hospital; Prof Wang Liangneng set up the Plastic Surgery Department in the Fourth Military Medical University Xijing Hospital.
As one of the earliest plastic surgery departments in China, Plastic Surgery Department in Zhongshan Hospital was formally set up in 1981 and enjoys a prominent reputation in the field of plastic surgery in China. The department was one of the first doctoral and master’s degrees granting facilities and the first to accept foreign students. Our medical techniques and the scale of practice are in the forefront in China. The department boasts 10 physicians, including 2 professors (chief physicians), 2 associate professors (associate chief physicians), 4 attending physicians (lecturers). Most physicians have studied overseas or were exchange scholars in America, Japan and South Korea. Most of them have doctoral degrees.
The department is the National Standardized Training Base for Plastic Surgeons and grants doctoral and master’s degrees. It attracts numerous young people who want to devote themselves to plastic surgery to study in the department. The department has cultivated a large number of excellent doctoral and master’s degree students for Chinese plastic surgery and over 10 foreign plastic surgery students from South Korea and other countries. The department is also responsible for teaching dozens of plastic surgery physicians from other parts of the country. The department has contributed to the training of many excellent plastic surgeons in the world.
The department currently has 32 beds. The annual outpatient volume is 11000 and surgical volume is over 5000. General Outpatient Clinic is open during the daytime Monday through Friday and on Saturday mornings. Emergency service is open for 24 hours a day and 365 days a year.
Supported by the tremendous comprehensive strength of Zhongshan Hospital, the department enjoys a leading position in performing difficult and major operations in China with close cooperation with other clinical and supporting departments. A large number of patients with challenging diseases are transferred to the department from all over the country every year, and we have been able to achieve therapeutic effects that are satisfactory to both physicians and patients in majority of those cases.
Clinical services provided:
1. Ocular plastics (double eyelids, bags under eyes, epicanthus), nasal plastics (augmentation rhinoplasty, comprehensive rhynoplasty), breast plastics (augmentation mammoplasty, reduction mammoplasty), chin augmentation, mandible and zygoma plastics, liposuction and body sculpting, autologous fat filing and other cosmetic surgeries.
2. Laser plastics (Photorejuvenation, dark spots removal, scar removal, laser hair removal, tattoo removal), microneedle rejuvenation, hyaluronic acid injection, botulinum toxin injection and other micro cosmetic surgeries.
3. Diagnosis, treatment of malignant and benign tumors such as skin soft tissue tumor, especially intractable skin tumor repair and reconstruction, including melanoma, basal cell carcinoma, squamous cell carcinoma, and lipoma.
4. Repair of nonhealing wound, especially poor healing after medial sternotomy, chronic lower extremity ulcers of various causes, bronchopleural fistula, radiation ulcers.
5. Organogenesis: breast reconstruction, ear reconstruction, nasal reconstruction, penile reconstruction, vaginal reconstruction and finger reconstruction.
6. Facial plastics and repair: repair of cleft lip and cleft palate, correction of blepharoptosis, plastics of facial ( ear, nose, eye and lips) deformity caused by congenital defect, operations or tumor.
7. Hand and foot plastics and repair: hand and foot deformity corrections including claw hand, polydactyly, and syndactyly.
8. Scar plastics: comprehensive treatment and repair of scars caused by burns, trauma and operations.
9. Surgical, interventional and injection treatment of hemangioma and vascular malformations.
10. Minimally invasive treatment and repair of private parts, including osmidrosis, hair transplantation, circumcision, concealed penis, ,hymenorrhaphy.
11. Emergency plastics and reconstruction surgeries: craniofacial trauma and hand trauma.
Former Directors: Sun Yilu, Li Guanyu and Mao Kunnan
Current Director: Qi Fazhi